As the weather outside gets cooler and we start turning on our heaters, it’s important not to forget about our HVAC systems!
These systems work hard to keep us comfortable all year, and a little TLC goes a long way. Here are 5 ways you can “thank” your heating and cooling system this November:
1. Check your air filter! A clogged air filter can make your system work harder than it needs to, leading to costly repairs down the road. Checking your air filter monthly is a quick and easy way to prolong the life of your system.
2. Schedule a tune-up! Like your car, your HVAC system needs regular maintenance to run smoothly. A furnace tune-up by a professional can help identify any potential problems before they turn into expensive repairs.
3. Keep it clean! Dust and dirt can build up on your system over time, impacting its efficiency. Once a year, take a few minutes to clean around your outdoor unit (the part of the system that sits outside your home). As for cleaning any interior components of your furnace, leave that to the professionals.
4. Give it some space! Ensure there are at least 2 feet of clearance around your outdoor unit. This will help ensure proper airflow and prevent potential damage to the unit. This is also true of your furnace – ensure there are no flammable objects anywhere near the system, and keep kids and pets away from it.
5. Check for leaks! Leaks in your ductwork can cause your system to work overtime, leading to higher energy bills and reduced efficiency. If you think you may have a leak, contact a professional for an inspection.
Taking care of your HVAC system doesn’t have to be complicated or time-consuming. By following these simple tips, you can help prolong the life of your system and avoid costly repairs down the road. And who knows, maybe your heating and cooling system will even thank YOU back, with lower energy bills this winter!